Anything posted on this blog is either FOR PERSONAL USE or FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. If you want to follow HOW-TOs or Tips and Tricks posted here, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK! I should not be held responsible or liable for whatever result you may achieve. Images, brand names and trademarks are copyright of their respective owners.

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) LiveHD

OK, I downloaded and wanted to try Ubuntu (Desktop) but I didn't want to waste a CD-R (that is if I find out that this distro isn't my cup-of-tea), so I wanted to run it from my hard drive.

After some reasearch, there's a HOWTO that tells how to install it from HDD via downloadable HDD-media, but this requires the alternate installer version of Ubuntu, which I resisted because:
1) I have to download the alternate - my bandwidth is slow; and
2) I don't want to install Ubuntu yet.

After a few trial-and-error combos, here&'s the summary of how I did it.

REQUIREMENTS (For Windows XP box, which is my case)

PREPARATIONS

Hard Disk Partitions, etc.

I have only one HDD in my laptop: (part=partition)

  • Part1: WinXP (Drive C)
  • Part2: Data (Drive D)
  • Part3: Spare (Drive E)

I split the spare (Part3) partition in to two: Part3, Part4. Part4 is sized to 700MB, enough to contain the content of Ubuntu ISO image. Part 3 is to contain Ubuntu system, just in case I opted to install it. Now, my hard drive contains 4 partitions:

  • Part1: WinXP (Drive C)
  • Part2: Data (Drive D)
  • Part3: Spare (Drive E)
  • Part4: For LiveCD files (Drive F)

Fiesty Fawn ISO Image

I then extracted the Feisty Fawn ISO image (ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso) to the root folder of Drive F. This partition/drive now contains files and folders as the exact layout of the ISO image.

GRUB4DOS

1. Extracted GRUB4DOS package file to a temporary folder
2. Copied grldr file from it to C:\
3. Edited C:\boot.ini (using notepad) and added the following line at the bottom:

C:\grldr="GRUB4DOS"

4. Saved c:\boot.ini
5. Created a new text file and put the following lines:

timeout 30default 0title Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) LiveHD!

root (hd0,3)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=/casper splash

initrd /casper/initrd.gz

6. Saved the this new text file "menu.lst" in C:\ as this is will be used by grldr

Finally!

After all the above preparations are done, I quickly rebooted my computer. Selected "GRBU4DOS" from MS-BOOT Menu and then my LiveHD was loaded SUCCESSFULLY! I installed Feisty Fawn in partition 3 (Drive E) and turned the 700mb partition (Drive F) into a Swap partition for use by Ubuntu. Nothing is left unused :)

No comments: